6/21/2014

HK Diary: Is Hong Kong Lost?

Having been back for a while and seeing many violent scenes on television and newspapers being recycled day in and day out, it's hard to ignore the political conflicts in Hong Kong at the moment.

On a post not on a Wednesday but about the World, I don't pretend to be an expert on Hong Kong-China relations. Only out of sentiment, for the place where I was born, do I choose to cast my vote for the 6.22 Civil Referendum.


If you are a permanent resident of Hong Kong, please cast your vote online or at your nearest polling station: https://popvote.hk/english/project/vote_622/

I'm not going to go to lengths to explain the complications around the hopes that people have of voting for the Chief Executive in 2017, or what I will crudely refer to as the "White Skin Book". These are issues too complicated for one blog post. But, as always, I urge readers to do their own research.

It just seems to me the more that Hong Kong struggles against the inevitable, the more China will tighten its grip. Do the actions of the Hong Kong people come too late or too radically?

It scares me just thinking about it. I feel incredibly lucky to have moved away so many years ago. But what do you think? Is Hong Kong a goner?



No comments:

Post a Comment